With the holiday season in full swing and more than a few Indiana University residents staying in Bloomington, Indiana, over winter break, there’s plenty of festive activities to fill your time. But if you’re interested in exploring some more unique options, take a look at evolve Bloomington’s guide to a few less-traditional ways to enjoy the holidays near the IU campus.
Where’s a Good Place to Eat During the Holidays?
If you don’t feel like cooking for yourself, but don’t want to live solely on vending machine snacks, here are a few restaurants that are open during the holidays where you can enjoy a not-so-typical holiday meal:
- Greek’s Pizzeria has become the go-to choice for restaurant style food for many IU students, because the food is good, the staff is great, and it’s steps from Memorial Stadium. Bonus for evolve Bloomington residents: it’s located on the bottom floor of our building!
- The Runcible Spoon is one of those great little restaurants that look as if they were once someone's home. Cozy and inviting, Runcible Spoon boasts a great continental breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert menu that’ll keep you coming back for more.
- Red offers an extensive menu of authentic Chinese cuisine with all your favorites (Kung Pao Chicken anyone?) plus some more adventurous items (who’s game for Lamb Testicle with Hot & Spicy Cumin Sauce?), and bargain lunch specials.
Why Not Volunteer?
Sometimes it’s good to give back by volunteering. The holidays can be especially hard on the less fortunate, so here are a few organizations you can contact to find out how you can help others this holiday season (or any time):
- Shalom Community Center is specifically asking for winter break volunteers to help with everything from organizing donations to helping in their community kitchen.
- Monroe County United Ministries is a great local organization dedicated to helping families with everything from financial assistance to child education. They could use holiday volunteers to help organize food baskets and gift bags.
What Can I Do That Doesn’t Involve Shopping or Eating?
Take the time to go for a walk and admire the pretty holiday lights. The combination of bright and beautiful lights and chilly Indiana nights makes The Canopy of Lights downtown at Foundation Square and along Main Street, worth bundling up for. And best of all, it doesn’t have to cost a penny.
Happy at Home for the Holidays
If you’re staying in, the complimentary coffee stand, gym, and hangout spaces are just some of the resident perks you’ll find at evolve Bloomington student apartments to help you enjoy the holidays, and every day, to the fullest. Here’s wishing you the happiest of holidays.